September 30, 2020
Hello Tiger Families,
As we await the beginning of face-to-face instruction, we want to clarify new procedures that are required due to Covid restrictions. These procedures are non-negotiable and are expected of all students.
Videos that explain student drop off and pick up have been provided on Facebook. Please share these and get the word out.
1. When face-to-face instruction begins, other than staff, the only adults that are allowed into the school building are guardians with scheduled ARC meetings. We are sorry if this causes an inconvenience and tears in the beginning, but it is necessary to keep our Tigers well while following the state’s Safe to School procedures.
2. Every bus will bring students from their home and drop students at SGS then transport remaining bus riders to JCMS and JCHS. There will be no exchanging of students from bus to bus. Each bus will leave immediately following unloading of SGS students.
3. JCHS AND JCMS students cannot be dropped off at Sand Gap to catch a ride to their school. This change needs to be shared, because there used to be many families that did this. There will not be a bus for them due to seating charts. Options for transportation for JCMS and JCHS students is to have the student get on the bus from their house or provide personal transportation for them to JCMS or JCHS.
4. The mandate of bus seating charts will cause there to be no bus changes. Students will ride the same bus in the morning everyday and the same bus in the evening everyday. Parent notes or calls for a student to ride a different bus will not be approved. Students will load the same bus every evening. Buses will be called individually and that bus will leave immediately when loaded. Buses are completely sanitized after the morning and evening runs end.
5. Everyday pickup will begin at 3:00 at the North End of the Building (facing 421). Follow the signage and complete the Everyday Pick-Up form. The link is on our Facebook page so we will know you plan to have your child picked up everyday. This begins as a slow process, but does speed up. Please be patient with us in the beginning as we work out the kinks. This is the prefered option for those who pick-up daily.
6. Student drop-off will be at the North end of the building. There will be signage and there is a video on the school’s FaceBook page. Drop off begins at 7:15. All students need to be in their class by 7:45- the beginning of the school day.
7. Bus rider's temperatures will be taken before getting on the bus. Parent drop-off students will have their temperature taken by a staff member before leaving the parent automobile. Students with a temp of 100.4 or higher will be sent home.
8. If you occasionally need to pick up a student early, park at the office doors and call the office. We will bring your Tiger to you. There is signage in the parking lot in case you forget.
9.The Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services (CHFS) is solely overseeing another round of P-EBT benefits, only covering the periods of August and September. Neither the school district nor the Kentucky Department of Education will be able to answer questions or provide assistance with this round of P-EBT. Please direct ALL P-EBT questions to CHFS at 1-855-306-8959. We have no further information.
10. Governor Beshear put an Emergency Administrative Regulation (902 KAR 2:220E) into force on September 14, 2020, in order to minimize the spread of the COVID-19 virus in the school setting. Under the new regulation, all parents and guardians are required to report to the child’s school within 24 hours if their child tests positive for COVID-19 or if their child is under quarantine due to a COVID-19 exposure. Please call the school’s office at 965-3171 to report.
Again, the decision to have or not have school for the following week is made after 4:00 each Thursday. The decision will be posted on FaceBook and an all-call will be sent of the decision when made.
Please call the office with questions.
Barbara Masters, Principal
Sand Gap Elementary